There are several popular toppings and side dishes that can go with fish tacos:
1. Cabbage Slaw: A crunchy and refreshing cabbage slaw with lime juice and cilantro complements the flavors of fish tacos well.
2. Avocado: Sliced or mashed avocado adds creaminess and richness to fish tacos.
3. Pico de Gallo: A fresh salsa made with diced tomatoes, onions, jalapeños, cilantro, and lime juice adds a burst of flavor to fish tacos.
4. Lime Crema: A creamy sauce made with sour cream or Greek yogurt, lime juice, and zest adds tanginess and balances the spices in fish tacos.
5. Radishes: Thinly sliced radishes provide a crisp texture and a slightly spicy kick to fish tacos.
6. Pickled Onions: Tangy and slightly sweet pickled onions complement the flavors of fish tacos and add a pop of color.
7. Guacamole: A classic Mexican dip made with mashed avocados, tomato, onion, cilantro, lime juice, and seasonings can be served as a side dish or as a topping for fish tacos.
8. Mexican Rice: Fluffy and flavorful Mexican rice can be served as a side dish to complement fish tacos.
9. Refried Beans: Creamy and savory refried beans can be served as a side dish or as a filling for fish tacos.
10. Corn Tortillas: Traditional corn tortillas are the preferred choice for fish tacos, as they add a slightly sweet and earthy flavor.
11. Hot Sauce: If you like some heat, you can add your favorite hot sauce or salsa to spice up your fish tacos.
Of course, feel free to experiment with other toppings and side dishes based on your preferences and tastes!
Know More About: what goes with fish tacos
Fish tacos are a delightful combination of crispy fish, zesty toppings, and warm tortillas that scream a mouthwatering taste of the ocean. But what can you pair with these delectable treats to create the perfect harmony of flavors and textures? From vibrant salsas to refreshing beverages, let’s dive into the world of fish taco accompaniments and explore how they can take your culinary experience to greater heights.
1. Salsas: The beauty of fish tacos lies in their versatility, and salsa is a match made in heaven. A classic tomato-based salsa adds a tangy kick, while a fruity pineapple salsa complements the fish’s mildness. For those seeking a spicy twist, try a fiery habanero or jalapeno salsa, packed with flavors that will tantalize your taste buds.
2. Guacamole: Creamy, rich, and bursting with flavors, guacamole is a foolproof companion for fish tacos. Spread a spoonful on your tortilla to create a luscious base that balances the fish’s crispy texture and adds a delightful creaminess to every bite.
3. Slaw: Crisp and crunchy slaw is the perfect way to add freshness and a satisfying bite to your fish tacos. Made with shredded cabbage, carrots, and a zesty dressing, slaw provides a refreshing contrast that enhances the overall taste experience.
4. Pickled Onions: Pickled onions are a great topping that adds a burst of tanginess and a subtle sweetness to your fish tacos. The pickling process tames the harshness of raw onions, making them a delightful addition that cuts through the richness of the fish.
5. Lime wedges: A squeeze of fresh lime is like a burst of sunshine that elevates the flavors of fish tacos. Its acidity cuts through the richness and brightens each bite, giving your taste buds a zingy wake-up call.
6. Mexican Rice: A side of steaming hot Mexican rice is the perfect complement to fish tacos. Its slightly smoky flavors and fluffy texture bring a hearty element to the plate, creating a filling and satisfying meal.
7. Black Beans: Rich in protein and fiber, black beans add a healthy touch to your fish tacos. Whether served as a side dish or incorporated into the taco filling, their creamy texture and earthy flavors add depth to every bite.
8. Cilantro: Known for its fresh and herbaceous flavor, cilantro is an essential ingredient that elevates fish tacos to new heights. Its bright and citrusy notes add complexity and balance to the overall taste profile.
9. Chipotle Mayo: If you’re a fan of a little heat and a creamy finish, chipotle mayo is a must-try. This smoky and spicy sauce adds a layer of richness that harmonizes beautifully with the crispy fish and the fresh toppings.
10. Mexican-inspired Beverages: To complete your fish taco feast, consider accompanying this delicious dish with a refreshing beverage. A frosty margarita, a fruity agua fresca, or even a zingy mojito can enhance the overall experience, transporting you to the sandy shores of Mexico.
When serving fish tacos, remember that everyone’s taste preferences differ. Provide an array of accompaniments to cater to a diverse range of flavors, allowing your guests to curate their own personalized fish taco experience.
So, whether you’re enjoying fish tacos at a beachside shack or in the comfort of your own home, these delectable pairings will undoubtedly elevate your humble fish tacos into a gourmet fiesta for your taste buds.
FAQs on what goes with fish tacos
1. What are some popular toppings for fish tacos?
Common toppings for fish tacos include diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, chopped onions, fresh cilantro, and sliced avocado.
2. Can I use any type of fish for fish tacos?
Yes, you can use different types of fish such as tilapia, cod, salmon, or even shrimp for your fish tacos.
3. Are corn or flour tortillas better for fish tacos?
Both corn and flour tortillas work well for fish tacos. Corn tortillas are traditional and offer a slightly earthy flavor, while flour tortillas are softer and have a milder taste.
4. How do I marinate the fish for fish tacos?
You can marinate the fish by using a combination of spices, lime juice, garlic, and oil. Allow the fish to marinate for at least 30 minutes to soak up the flavors.
5. What type of sauce is best for fish tacos?
A popular choice for fish taco sauce is creamy white sauce, which is typically made with mayonnaise, sour cream, lime juice, garlic, and spices. However, you can personalize the sauce by adding chipotle, avocado, or your favorite hot sauce.
6. Can I add cheese to fish tacos?
Yes, you can add shredded cheese, such as cheddar or Monterey Jack, to your fish tacos for an extra layer of flavor.
7. What kind of cabbage is commonly used in fish tacos?
Shredded cabbage is a popular topping for fish tacos. While green or red cabbage can be used, many people prefer the crunchiness and freshness of green cabbage.
8. Should I serve fish tacos with rice or beans?
Fish tacos are typically served with a side of rice or beans. You can choose between Mexican rice or cilantro-lime rice and either refried beans or black beans, depending on your personal preference.
9. Can I add salsa or pico de gallo to my fish tacos?
Absolutely! Salsa or pico de gallo can add a refreshing burst of flavor to your fish tacos. They are often made with diced tomatoes, onions, cilantro, jalapenos, lime juice, and other seasonings.
10. Are tortilla chips a suitable side dish for fish tacos?
Yes, tortilla chips make a great side dish for fish tacos. You can enjoy them with a dip like guacamole, salsa, or even the fish taco sauce for additional texture and flavor.