There are several options that pair well with fish tacos, depending on personal preference. Here are a few suggestions:
1. Mexican rice: A side of flavorful Mexican rice complements the flavors of the fish tacos and adds substance to the meal.
2. Black beans: Cooked black beans can be served as a side dish or even added to the fish tacos themselves for added protein and texture.
3. Corn on the cob: Grilled or roasted corn on the cob is a great summery side dish that pairs well with the fresh flavors of fish tacos.
4. Coleslaw: A refreshing and crunchy coleslaw made with cabbage, carrots, and a tangy dressing can provide a nice contrast to the soft texture of the tacos.
5. Guacamole or avocado slices: The creamy and rich taste of guacamole or avocado slices can be spread on the tacos or enjoyed as a separate side dish.
6. Pico de gallo: A fresh salsa made with tomatoes, onions, cilantro, and lime juice adds a burst of flavor and freshness to accompany the fish tacos.
7. Lime wedges: Serving lime wedges as a side allows people to squeeze some fresh lime juice over their tacos, enhancing the flavors.
8. Tortilla chips and salsa: Traditional tortilla chips with a side of salsa can be a nice addition to the meal, providing a crunchy element.
Remember, you can mix and match these suggestions to create a well-rounded and delicious meal.
Know More About: what to serve with fish tacos
Fish tacos are a delicious and highly versatile dish that originate from Baja California, Mexico. They have gained immense popularity for their light and refreshing flavors, making them a perfect choice for a summertime meal. But the real question is, what should you serve with these delightful fish tacos to create a well-rounded and satisfying meal? Look no further, as we explore a variety of delectable accompaniments that will elevate your fish taco experience to new heights.
1. Fresh and Crisp Slaw: A classic and must-have side dish for fish tacos is a tangy and refreshing slaw made with cabbage, carrots, and a zesty dressing. The crunch and acidity of the slaw perfectly complements the tender and flavorful fish. Adjust the spice level by adding jalapenos or play around with different dressing flavors like citrus, cilantro, or chipotle for a unique twist.
2. Creamy Avocado Salsa: What better way to enhance the flavors of fish tacos than with a creamy and flavorful avocado salsa? Mash ripe avocados with lime juice, red onions, tomatoes, and herbs like cilantro to create a luscious salsa that adds a luxurious touch to your tacos. The richness of the avocado beautifully balances the fresh and tangy fish.
3. Fresh Pico de Gallo: Nothing beats the vibrant and zingy flavors of a pico de gallo alongside fish tacos. Prepare a fresh salsa by combining diced tomatoes, red onions, jalapenos, cilantro, lime juice, and a pinch of salt. The freshness of the pico de gallo adds a burst of flavor and acidity that pairs perfectly with the mild fish.
4. Spicy Pickled Onions: For those who crave an extra kick of flavor, try incorporating spicy pickled onions alongside your fish tacos. Quick-pickle thinly sliced red onions in vinegar, sugar, and spices, and let them marinate for at least an hour. The tangy and spicy onions lend a vibrant and crunchy element to your tacos, balancing the creamy and earthy flavors.
5. Charred Corn Salad: If you’re looking for a heartier side dish, consider serving a scrumptious charred corn salad with your fish tacos. Toss grilled corn kernels with bell peppers, red onions, cilantro, lime juice, and a hint of chili powder. The natural sweetness of the corn paired with the smoky char adds a delightful contrast to the savory fish.
6. Refried Beans: For a more traditional accompaniment, refried beans are a classic choice. Whip up a batch of authentic refried beans using pinto beans, garlic, onion, and cumin. The smooth and velvety texture of the beans perfectly complements the crunchy fish, creating a satisfying and wholesome meal.
7. Crispy Sweet Potato Fries: When it comes to adding a delightful contrast in both taste and texture, crispy sweet potato fries are the ultimate side dish. Slice peeled sweet potatoes into thin strips, toss them in olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and bake until golden and crispy. The natural sweetness of the potatoes pairs harmoniously with the savory fish and adds a satisfying crunch to every bite.
Whether you choose to pair your fish tacos with a refreshing slaw, creamy avocado salsa, or hearty refried beans, these delectable accompaniments will add depth and excitement to your fish taco experience. So, gather your favorite ingredients, explore different flavors, and get ready to enjoy the perfect combination of flavors and textures that will leave you craving more.
Key Takeaways from what to serve with fish tacos
When serving fish tacos, it’s important to create a delicious and well-balanced meal. Start with the tortillas, opting for soft and slightly warmed corn or flour varieties. For the filling, go for flaky white fish like cod or mahi-mahi, seasoned with spices like chili powder and cumin. Pair this with tangy and refreshing toppings like pickled red onions, avocado slices, fresh cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice. Creamy sauces, such as chipotle mayo or sour cream, add a luscious touch. Finally, complete the meal with sides like Mexican rice, black beans, or a zesty corn salad.
FAQs on what to serve with fish tacos
1. Q: What is the best side dish to serve with fish tacos?
A: Some popular side dishes to accompany fish tacos are Mexican Rice, Refried Beans, or a fresh salad with cilantro lime dressing.
2. Q: Can I serve guacamole with fish tacos?
A: Absolutely! Guacamole is a fantastic addition to fish tacos. Its creamy texture and rich flavor complement the fish perfectly.
3. Q: Should I serve a salsa with fish tacos?
A: Yes, salsa is a great condiment for fish tacos. You can choose from various options like traditional tomato salsa, pineapple salsa, or a spicy mango salsa.
4. Q: Is it common to serve corn tortillas with fish tacos?
A: Yes, corn tortillas are the traditional choice for fish tacos, as they enhance the flavors of the filling. However, you can also use flour tortillas if preferred.
5. Q: What about a tangy slaw? Would that go well with fish tacos?
A: Absolutely! A tangy slaw adds a nice crunch and tanginess to fish tacos, creating a delightful balance of textures and flavors.
6. Q: Are there any specific toppings that work well with fish tacos?
A: Some popular toppings for fish tacos include shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, sliced avocado, chopped onions, and a drizzle of lime crema or sour cream.
7. Q: Are there any vegetarian options to serve with fish tacos for non-seafood eaters?
A: For vegetarian options, you can prepare black bean and corn salad, grilled vegetables, or even crispy cauliflower bites as alternatives to complement the tacos.
8. Q: Can I serve fish tacos as a main dish without any sides?
A: While fish tacos can be enjoyed as a standalone main dish, serving them with side dishes adds variety and enhances the overall meal experience.
9. Q: What about a refreshing beverage to pair with fish tacos?
A: A refreshing beverage like a classic margarita, a fruity agua fresca, or even a cold Mexican beer can perfectly complement the flavors of fish tacos.
10. Q: Should I serve any dessert after fish tacos?
A: It’s not necessary, but if you want to complete the meal with a sweet treat, you can opt for a light dessert like churros with chocolate dipping sauce or a tropical fruit salad.